Saturday, April 25, 2009

Math Bee Winner ... Again!

Last year, Joel won the math bee. He was the school district's 1st grade math champion. (You can actually go back and see last year's post and pictures from the 1st grade math bee: http://goingoutandgoingforth.blogspot.com/2008/05/math-bee-winner.html)

This year, he has won again! Yesterday, Joel competed in the school district math bee and won the second grade trophy. Yay! He competed on stage in two rounds of straight math facts, followed by 2 rounds of word problems. There were six contestants left at the end of the 4 rounds. Those children then took a multiplication timed test to determine the winner. Joel worked the most problems in the 1 minute test, so he was declared the 2nd grade champion. Yay!

I'm so proud of my big boy! I'm always blessed to be his mom, and I'm proud of him every day. But this weekend we are definitely celebrating his math success! And just for clarification ... Joel does not get his math skills from his mother. I am not a math whiz by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I am so mathematically challenged, that in high school I had to take algebra 1 twice! So that makes me extra happy to see how wonderful my son is able to succeed in an area that I've always found terribly challenging.

Way to go, Joel!

(Pictures from the math bee coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment