Monday, May 25, 2009

a conversation with Julia

J: Momma, you know what I'm thinking about?

Me: no ... what's on your mind, sweetie?

J: I'm thinking about getting married. I already know who I'm going to marry when I finally get grown up ... it's Jonathan.

Me: Jonathan? Who is Jonathan?

J: He's not in my class ... he's in Ms. Valentine's class, and he is real romantic. He likes me a lot and I like him a lot.

Me: Why do you like him so much?

J: Well, he's cute ... I love his spiky hair and he wears real nice shirts. And ... (she lowers her voice a little) ... he is a tuffler.

Me: What on earth is a tuffler?

J: You don't know what a tuffler is?! A tuffler is a boy who is real tough. If anyone is bad to me, then he tuffles them up and they don't bother me any more.

Me: Oh, yes ... a tuffler. I see. Well, I do hope he isn't hurting people and getting in trouble for fighting at school.

(and yes ... I'm laughing while I'm saying that!)

J: If you don't stop laughing, I am going to call him right this minute and he will come tuffle you, too! (a little pause) OH ... and I forgot on important thing: Jonathan is a superhero. I am the only one who knows about it though because his mother won't let him wear his costume to school. None of the other kids know he has superpowers ... just me.

Me: Well, that's interesting, Julia ... I'm really glad you like Jonathan so much. But right now I think you should just focus on being friends and not think about marrying him, okay.

J: I'm not marrying him tomorrow, Momma! When he asked me, I just told him that I'd marry him after I'm all grown up. But he already gave me a ring, so it is for real.

Me: Where is it? I'd like to see the ring.

J: I lost it. But he told me it was okay and that he was going to get me another one. This time it will be a pink ring because that's my favorite color.

And then she skipped off ...

Oh, my goodness! I just keep laughing everytime I think about it.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious! I will have to remember that term and definition. ;) A tuffler, eh?! LOL. That is great. What a sweetie she is.

    ReplyDelete