Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Tale of David Joe

This morning a traveling Christian comedian walked into our office. It's kind of hard to just walk into my office ... to begin with it is located on the 3rd floor of the courthouse, and secondly there is no working elevator to get you up there. Since there are only 4 people who work on the 3rd floor of the courthouse, no one really ever comes up that way unless they absolutely need to come up there for something. There are days when no one makes the long climb up the stairs at all. The third floor of the courthouse can be a very lonely place to work.

Anyway, this man was just out promoting himself by selling his cd's and trying to drum up a few performances. I guess he thought that the four of us on the third floor might have some influence or something. If we did, do you think we'd be on the third floor?! But since he was from out of town, perhaps he just didn't know ...

He seemed like a nice enough man, in a rather oddball and goofy sort of way. I don't know ... maybe that's the way comedian's are supposed to be. But he was a little on the strange side ... nice, but definitely quirky.

The secretary just had the best conversation with him, though. They must have talked 20 minutes. She found out all about him and was delighted to discover that he was single. Can you see where this is going?

Yes, just before he left, she tried to fix me up on a date with him! I'm not joking ... she said, "Well, now before you go, since you are single and we've got this real nice single lady in our office, let me introduce y'all. Paige, come on out here and meet David Joe!"

I couldn't think of a good excuse not to go out to the main part of the office. She knew I wasn't on the phone and there wasn't any pressing business that I was taking care of ... so I went out to meet David Joe. Of course, as soon as I walked out, the secretary was all giddy as she introduced us. "Paige, this is David Joe ... he's a SINGLE, CHRISTIAN comedian. I thought you might like to meet him, being as you are single and all."

Thankfully, the poor man claimed to have a girlfriend back home in Tuscaloosa, AL. Bless her heart, I'm so glad it is her and not me! And I don't mean that in a mean way ... I'm just not interested in David Joe the traveling Christian comedian, though I wish him well as he travels around sharing God through laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment