Friday, May 1, 2009

Achievement Day

Today was 4-H Achievement Day in my parish. I have spent the last month or more planning for this HUGE event. Every year we have about 300 or more students show up for the big day. We have relay races, a fashion revue, a talent competition, individual and team testing on a variety of topics (like plant/insect identification, pet care, horses, camping), and exhibition contests in woodworking, art, photography and cooking/candy baking.

Perhaps, though, my very favorite part of the day is the song competition. Each of the 7 clubs comes up with their own song based on the theme and 4-H. Every year, I'm amazed the creativity of the songs. This year we had a Western theme, so most of the clubs had a Western sounding 4-H song to share with us. My very favorite was performed by a 4th/5th grade club. They sang a song to the tune of "Home, Home On the Range." They sang 3 verses about all the fun things we have done in 4-H and all the wonderful things they had learned. But I loved the chorus the best of all ... read the words to see why:

So now we are here on the stage
Because 4-H is the rage
We'll do our best
On each of our tests
So we can please Ms. Paige!

Now how cute it that?!

Anyway, we had a great day together ... celebrating another year of 4-H. It's a lot of work to get ready for it, but such a fun day that I can't wait to do it again next year. Tonight, however, I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief because I've got 11 more months before I have to think about Achievement Day again!

No comments:

Post a Comment